Dear Kids,

This blog is especially created for you! I'll post small stories, puzzles, jokes, etc. (mainly old ones, occasionally new ones) for you from time to time. This blog is dedicated to three people: (1) My grandpa - Fondly known to all of us as Appappa - who told me so many lovely stories (2) My cousin and friend (Uncle S for you) - who keeps teaching me lots of things that I can do on the computer. (3) My beloved wife (Aunty P for you) - who likes to hear my grandpa's stories from me. Hope you like this blog - Keep visiting! [If you are not a kid (or a kid at heart!!), use this blog to entertain kids known to you!]

Love,
Uncle N

(Pl see the note of caution at the bottom of this page)

August 02, 2007

The King's Choice - Part II

The King's Choice - Part II

Dear Kids,

You'll remember the old story of how the camel was saved. Here's what happened next, because the camel was foolish!

The lion had given up hope of tasting camel's meat. But the clever fox thought of a plan. Off he ran into the desert, saying, "I will bring some help." After some time, he found the camel. How surprised the camel was to see a fox in the desert! "Hurry up, friend," said the fox." Our king wants you at once." "Our king? Who is that? I don't know any king. I know only my master, for whom I carry loads across the desert." "Our king is a lion. He has killed your master. Now you are free. The lion invites you to live at his court. Come along." So the camel followed the fox.

When the fox and the camel reached the lion's camp, the crow and leopard were surprised. Even the lion was pleased, in spite of his burned paws. The camel was presented to the king. "Get on the camel's back, your Majesty," said the fox. "We will return home." The lion at once jumped on to the camel's back. The fox and the leopard sat behind him. With the crow flying ahead as the guide, they set off on the long journey back.

By the time they returned to the forest, they were tired and hungry. The fox, the leopard, and the crow looked at the camel. Then they looked at each other and smiled. They had brought the camel along for the king. Now it was time for dinner. The lion knew what his courtiers were thinking. He turned to the camel. "Friend," he said, "I have to thank you for saving my life. You are welcome to live with us as long as you like. I promise you protection." The courtiers were shocked. Had they not risked their lives to get him camel meat? And now the king wanted to let the camel live.

How could they say anything? After all he was their king. Now, the lion's paws were so badly burned that he could not hunt. He was very hungry indeed. "Fox! Leopard! Crow!" he roared." Don't you see I am ill and hungry? Go and get me some food!" The courtiers had to obey the king. So they went, but not far. They sat down to discuss what to do. "I know," said the fox after a while, " we shall make the camel request the lion to eat him." He told the others of his plan. They agreed it was a good idea. Back they went to the king.

First the crow stepped forward, bowing low. "Your Majesty, we have found no food. But we cannot let you suffer. I am a little creature. Please eat me." The fox pushed the crow aside. " I have more flesh on me. Please eat me, Sir." The leopard rushed in. " I'm even bigger, your Majesty." He camel felt he should not be found wanting in loyalty to his king. "Your Majesty," he said, "I too am willing to sacrifice my life to save yours. These friends are more useful to you than I am. Eat me, instead." At these words, the crow, the fox, and the leopard got ready to pounce on the camel.

Thus, due to the foolishness of the camel, it was about to die.

Fortunately, the lion was a true leader and a great king.

Hence, the lion stopped them. "You are all good and loyal subjects. I am touched by your offers. I accept them all. I shall eat you one by one." There was not a moment to lose. Away flew the crow. Away ran the fox and the leopard. The lion had a hearty laugh. Then he turned to the camel. The camel stayed put, quiet and calm. "You have been loyal and good. You shall be my friend as long as I live." The camel was grateful and happy.

Happy reading!

Uncle N



No comments: